Plans for a major upgrade to the Marion Bay Boat Launching Facility are now available for public comment.
Yorke Peninsula Council is seeking feedback about the plans, which include a 6-metre wide ramp for large boats, a 4m wide ramp for small-to-medium boats, a walkway and wave calming infrastructure.
Council has formally received the latest concept design, created in collaboration with Magryn & Associates’ Managing Director Terry Magryn and Department of Infrastructure and Transport officers.
The concept is considered an ideal compromise balancing affordability, environmental considerations and functionality for users.
“It is extremely pleasing to see major progress on the plans to upgrade Marion Bay’s boat launching facility,” Mayor Darren Braund said.
“The latest plans are considered a fantastic compromise that will improve the facility for users without causing excessive impacts to the environment, and the look and usability of the beach.
“Council looks forward to hearing from the community about these latest plans, which have been the result of a lot of hard work.
“We hope people can provide feedback specifically about the latest concept in the hope that we can then move to the detailed design phase.”
Council commissioned Coastal Process Modelling, including collecting data over a two-year period, to put the project in the best possible position for external funding.
The process included collecting wave data and sand movement, collating all publicly available data and undertaking numerical modelling to define and simulate waves, hydrodynamics, littoral drift and seagrass wrack aggregation.
This information showed the potential maintenance and environmental issues associated with different design options, and the latest concept ensures these impacts are minimised.
Public consultation about the Marion Bay Boat Launching Facility concept design is open until 5pm Monday, 12 September.
If you have any feedback about the design, please email email@example.com or submit via mail to Yorke Peninsula Council, PO Box 57, Maitland SA 5573.
The Concept Design can be viewed HERE
The new design features:
- A 6m wide ramp on the northern side for larger boats.
- A 4m wide ramp on the southern side for small-to-medium boats.
- Both ramps at a slope of 1 in 10.
- A stepped jetty between the ramps for easier access to boats. (The site is not suitable for a floating pontoon due to wave action.)
- Vehicle ramps each side of the boat ramp for Council maintenance vehicles to access the beach.
- Beach access steps each side for pedestrian access across the ramp for beach walkers.
- Scour protection at the toe of the ramp to protect against scour/drop-off at the toe.